Review- Strange Trouble by Laken Kane

A baby necromancer calls her mother from the grave, starting a zombie infestation Rune and the crew are not prepared to handle.

But as always, they jump headlong into battle--a battle that will lead into some of the darkest moments of Rune's life. Moments that will shatter her tenuous grip on sanity and make her long for the man whose abuse allowed her to function.

And when she falls, the berserker is there to catch her. To bring her back. To give her what she needs.

The zombies are just the beginning. Worse even than the zombies is what comes after--a nightmare witch named Damascus, a horrific decision, and death.

Always, death.

As she is given another jagged piece to the puzzle of her past, Rune knows that despite its best attempts, life doesn't have the ability to destroy her--though she offers it all the help it might need.
With Strad Matheson and the crew behind her, Rune will stride through hell, horror, and the endless, black despair of her own mind to show the monsters why Shiv Crew is the scariest group of warriors they will ever face 
 

I live in Ohio and I write urban fantasy. Laken Cane is a new pseudonym for me--I also write erotic paranormal romance for publishers like Loose Id, Ellora's Cave, and Liquid Silver Books under a different pen name.
Shiv Crew is my first book as Laken, and I've never been as satisfied writing as I am with this series. I have a sort of end game planned for the crew, but I have no idea how many books it will take to get there. I'm having too much fun with them to think about ending them!
I do have plans to bring in a new character for one book, just so she can eventually get her own series when (or maybe before) the Rune Alexander series ends. That's the plan.
Besides writing--when I have time to do something other than write or read--I play the heck out of my Playstation 4, my Nintendo 3DS XL, and occasionally I find time to play my Xbox 360 or Wii U. Yes. I have a sickness.
I also drink coffee. Lots and lots of coffee. But I have been trying to dilute all that coffee with some green tea. Decaf green tea. That makes up for all the caffeinated black coffee, right? Yeah. That's what I thought.
What quirks do I have? Hmmm. The word "quirks" makes it sound so cute. I don't swallow pills. I chew them. Yes, I chew them. Tylenol, vitamins, doesn't matter. Even if I crush it and put it in ice cream first, I still chew. I chew ice cream. For some reason, people seem to think that's weird. I don't get it. 





This is the third book in the Rune Alexander series, and oh my God! If you don't think things can get any worse for Shiv Crew, you are sorely mistaken. I loved this book for all the things it is not to the other two books. This one is not happy. This one is not light. This one is nearly devoid of joy. It is a dark, gripping, earth shattering tale about a group of law enforcement that never, ever gets to take a break. Rune Alexander and her crew of misfits own me lock stock and barrel. They are some of the toughest characters I have ever read. All through this book, I found myself praying that Shiv Crew would catch a break. Not gonna lie, in this book, no one is safe. If you think the author won't take this crew to their breaking point, you are sadly mistaken.
In this book, the action hits you from page one. Now we get a lot of zombies. From a baby necromancer, no less. Something is different with the new zombies, they are far stronger and faster than "normal" ones. Bring on the uber bad witch to spoil Rune's day. Hey, throw in her Dad too! Who would have thought? As the crew suffers their worst nightmare, and more, they battle the darkness and COS and the humans. When Rain loses everything but her life, can she battle back and be the leader this team needs? How will they find their missing teammates? What fate will finally destroy Rune beyond her ability to recover? Could they finally have found a way to kill her? With her spirits so low, will she walk into the darkness and give up like she wants to? Or will she find the strength to do what is necessary even if it breaks her heart into a million pieces? Can Shiv Crew move on from this huge blow to their numbers? And true to the addiction that is this series, not all of your questions gets answered in this book. I am glad the fourth book is out because otherwise I would be losing my mind wondering how things turned out. Grab this book and hang on tight. oh, and grab a box of Kleenex because you are going to need it




 




Click on link above to purchase book

No comments:

Post a Comment